Monday, May 21, 2012

Moving Houses Made Easy


I have moved from one city to another for about three times and in those times I have moved to five different houses. I tell you, moving houses is definitely not an easy task.

Before packing, you need all these essential materials. Boxes, old newspapers, strapping tape, packing tape, scissors markers, notebook to create a checklist, bubble wrap,

Packing for clothes is easy. I do not even use big luggage. It will not be enough and I have so many clothes. I buy an empty carton box and pack all my clothes in. I label the box “clothes” and to which room it will be transferred. It will be the same with the children’s clothes that is not a lot. Shoes, bedding, toys, books, perishables and cleaning materials will be placed in each different box as well.


When I pack for my most fragile possessions, for example, kitchenware, I always wrap old newspaper on each item first. When packing them inside the box, I always put something soft underneath the box first like an old blanket or crumpled newspapers before arranging the plates or cups inside the box. You must fill the corner or gaps of the box with crumpled paper. The trick is to cushion the plates and minimize movement inside the box. I do the same thing when I pack the old china. For antiques, whenever the budget allow, I buy a couple of bubble wraps. If not, I will use the same method when packing the china. For kitchenware, label the box “fragile” and “kitchen”. For antiques, you can label it “very fragile” and “living room” for easy check up when unpacking.

Electronics in the house also need extra care. I usually like to keep old boxes of electronics and store them in the storage room or basement. If you do not keep old boxes, you can buy boxes that fit. Sometimes moving companies provide us with boxes for packing. The first time I moved houses, I did not keep old boxes and ended up moving TV’s, refrigerator and washing machine as it is and not boxed up. But the things I own back then was not as many. Years have gone by and I have accumulated a lot of things already. I ended up giving some of my stuff away.

Then of course, there is the furniture like the living room set, beds, cabinets, tables and chairs. Moving them out of the house, into the car and into the new house is really back breaking. It made me think about Bobcathire Sydney.

No comments:

Post a Comment